The National Alliance for Medicaid in Education, Inc. (NAME) is a non-profit 501(c) (3) organization comprised of members from the nation's school districts and state Medicaid and Education agencies who are involved in administration of Medicaid claiming for school-based services. Other members are those with an interest in the Medicaid-in-education field such as businesses, consulting firms, non-profit organizations and federal agencies.
Through Medicaid claiming for covered health-related services and Medicaid-related administrative activities, public schools recover some of their costs for serving Medicaid-eligible school-age children.
“We envision the day when public policy promotes student health and wellness as essential to learning.”
“NAME champions collaboration, integrity, and growth for school-based Medicaid.”
Our Goals (2022-2025)
- Offer consistent and relevant professional learning opportunities for membership
- Strengthen relationships with strategic partners and other national organizations that share our vision
- Maintain a stable infrastructure that promotes financial growth
- Develop and implement a recruitment and retention plan for members
NAME has two categories of members:
- Voting Members are individuals employed or contracted by a State Medicaid Agency, State Education Agency or Local Education Agency who have responsibility for administering the Medicaid Administrative Claiming or Direct Billing of school-based health related Special Education or Free Care services provided by public schools.
- Associate Members are non-voting and include individuals from an agency/organization or company that provides services/supports for school-based health, Special Education or Medicaid in Education, or function as a Medicaid billing agent.
- Local Education Agency (LEA)- Local educational agency or LEA- An employee of a public board of education or other public authority legally constituted within a State for either administrative control or direction of, or to perform a service function for, public elementary schools or secondary schools in a city, county, township, school district, or other political subdivision of a State, or for a combination of school districts or counties as are recognized in a State as an administrative agency for its public elementary schools or secondary schools. This does not include vendors who are not directly employed by the LEA.
- State Education Agency (SEA)- State educational agency or SEA- An employee of the State board of education or other agency or officer primarily responsible for the State supervision of public elementary schools and secondary schools, or, if there is no such officer or agency, an officer or agency designated by the Governor or by State law. This does not include vendors who are not directly employed by the SEA.
- State Medicaid Agency (SMA) - An employee of a single State agency administering or supervising the administration of a State Medicaid plan. This does not include vendors who are not directly employed by the SMA.
- Associate Membership - An employee of an agency/organization interested in or company that provides services/supports for school health, Special Education or Medicaid in Education, or functions as a Medicaid billing agent. Vendors of LEAs, SEAs, and SMAs are most often defined as an Associate Member.
Not sure which membership category to select? Click here for assistance.
Our Organizational Structure
NAME's business is conducted by a volunteer Leadership Team that includes Officers, a Board of Directors and Chairpersons of Standing Committees. The Board of Directors meets monthly via conference call and meets in-person at least once annually. NAME's Board of Directors consists of:
- An Executive Director, who serves as a de-facto member of the Board of Directors.
- Nine representatives elected from three geographical regions (three Medicaid, three SEA and three LEA representatives from each region) and three at-large representatives (each representing a Medicaid agency, a State Education Agency and a Local Education Agency).
- Five officers: an elected President, President-Elect and Immediate Past President plus a Secretary and Treasurer appointed by the Board of Directors.
Our Annual Meeting
NAME hosts an annual membership meeting in conjunction with its annual conference, generally in the Fall. All members are invited to attend. The agenda for this meeting includes a review of the proposed annual budget, election results, and annual reports from committees.
Region 1 States
Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia, and West Virginia
Region 2 States
Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Texas, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, and Wisconsin
Region 3 States
Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming